Each person in the service team plays a vital role. If one person doesn’t do their bit, the whole team will be let down.
There is no such thing as ‘it’s not my job’ – Always help your colleagues out.
• When walking through the dining area, check that all Guests’ drinks are topped up, and empty plates are cleared.
• If the bar or scullery gets very busy, help out.
• If you run out of cutlery or side plates, fetch and polish enough for the whole team.
• If your colleague has to clear a large table, grab a large tray and help them.
• If the Maître d’Hôtel is clearing plates, and a Guest engages them in conversation help them out by taking the plates they are holding.
Whenever you head to back of house, remember ‘full hands in, full hands out’ – if you’re going to the pass, take something to the scullery or waiters’ station with you.